Thursday 4 March 2010

Smoking Seagulls

For any who have just joined us, I'd just like to hark on about printed magazines for second if I may...
Sideburn magazine is to have and to hold. We'd also like to think of it as a compendium you can keep re-re-reading until it falls apart. It's quality build and print should certainly mean it will outlast the life-span of your lap-top. Of course we couldn't (now) live without the internet - and Sideburn would not have been created without it, but all too often one comes across a story; or even just a single photo and then you forget where the hell you found it. Here today, gone tomorrow. And then you can't sleep for want of information.

Smoking Seagulls, is a story originally brought to light by our NY pals Hell For Leather. When Google or 'know it all' (not) Wikipedia doesn't deliver the extended thesis you were hoping for, there's only one choice left... Good old fashioned, lick your pencil, journalism. A man; or a woman; or an effeminate man, and a note pad. Wes Siler is our man, and he's written the full story for SB#5. Photos by Rich Van Every and Chris Hornbecker. BP

6 comments:

Wes Siler said...

I stuck my press pass in my fedora, grabbed a bottle of Jack and had my secretary telegraph my copy into Sideburn HQ. Isn't print romantic?

Sideburn Magazine said...

Wes, You f**ked out Telex machine with your filth. G

Tim White said...

I've a thing for expansion chambers. Two strokes too . . . Oh, and print journo stuff, of course. Yep.

Dan Born said...

i'm sorry, what were you saying? i was to busy looking at that tank top

Mick P said...

Mr White, that's not an expansion pipe, it's a giant black pudding being warmed through against the block. There's a series of photos showing a debauched scene of feral feasting, but it was decided to keep those back for private viewings only.

mark@mwa said...

Can't wait for issue 5 to drop on my doormat now! I've had to ration my reading of the previous 4 as they're starting to disintegrate. You're right, the internet is great for a quick fix but there is nothing like sitting down with a mug of PG, a chocolate hob nob and the latest issue of SB. Cheers.